Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Prospect Mortgage

Yet again... I don't know how they can possibly find ways to delay our escrow more every day, but somehow they do. I want to make it clear right off that if you ever come across Prospect Mortgage, do not work with them! I began the process of pre-approval for an FHA 203k loan with one of their lending agents in early February this year... February... We were pre-approved fast enough to put an offer on the house this blog is about on March 9th.... March 9th and now we find ourselves here on my birthday, June 22nd, still not closed.

I will admit, we may have been closed by now if we were buying a different house - Our Fairfax house is owned by two feuding brothers, who won't talk to each other except through lawyers. Both brothers accepted our offer originally but when we came back after inspections with a significantly lower number (the highest we could offer with our loan! Not trying to swindle two old men here) the second brother no longer agreed. But we didn't know this until three weeks after we submitted our contingency papers... Because the second brother, probably to spite the other one, went on a two week cruise the day before our papers were due... without telling anyone. Oh god, this seems funny now, compared to this ordeal with Prospect Mortgage. So, at the last minute, when I was past heartbroken and completely giving up (about to try for another house I'd found in a worse neighborhood) the 2nd brother came back and signed the papers. Apparently, his son questioned his reasoning and convinced him not to waste this chance just to spite his brother.

Now, though, after overcoming all the problems with the brothers, I have had to deal with these guys. Luckily, being 3 weeks past contract day doesn't matter much to the brothers - this is the weirdest purchase ever... Anyway, our loan officer turned in our papers to underwriting on June 1st (I have e-mails confirming this too... so sad) and on June 2nd, they gave us a long list of conditions to complete and send in. I did that in 2 days flat! Was very proud of myself and thinking that finally we'll be able to close. But more was to come... I think I'll change formats now to a list.

June 7: Two more conditions for Underwriting. One, I needed to give them my landlord's contact information... for about the third time. Two, they needed Patrick's 2007 and 2008 US Tax Returns............ PATRICK IS NOT A US CITIZEN AND ONLY CAME HERE IN 2009!!!!! OMG that one really pissed us off. Regardless, we cleared that up by repeating the information we'd already given prospect 3 times.

June 7 - Same day, I needed to get them a copy of my 2008 returns because, they guessed, I had spelled something wrong in the transcript request form I gave them - easily managed, I sent them the original copies that I sent to the IRS.

No word for two days.

June 9 - They needed a copy of my contractor's builder's license and proof of insurance - within the same day, I got those papers to them.

June 10 - They send us a link to an absolutely asinine online quiz for new homeowners. They wanted us to pass it and send them the certification I received at the end. You should take a look. Of course, that was finished in 4 minutes.

June 10 - Late in the evening: They need contact information that they already have for my husband's previous employer in Japan - Easy, I copy and pasted the phone number. Next, they say they cannot get a copy of my 2008 Tax return, so ask me to call the IRS.... The IRS didn't have my 2008 on file....... Big freak-out here and so many questions. How did I get approved without my tax records? Are we going to lose the house because the IRS won't be able to process my return for a month or more? I called the lender and he told me I could turn in my return at a local office and received a stamp to prove it, so it's just a day's delay. Phew

June 11 - I went to the local IRS office and get my return stamped and turned in. Then, I forwarded the return to Prospect. All was finished...

June 11 - After my lunchtime trip - Prospect cannot dial international numbers so they need an e-mail for Patrick's previous employer... I gave them the e-mail but then pleaded with them to call via Skype or using the international dialing codes which I looked up for them... but then I realized that it was Saturday in Japan already... so we were delayed until Monday.

June 13 - I wasn't going to wait and see if the previous employer would reply to their email. I called her on Sunday - her Monday - and made sure she did. Sure enough, the email I had was her old one so she wouldn't have replied if I hadn't called.

June 14 - They needed our contractor to add an addendum to our contract for two more items... I do my best to get them to do it but it takes a whole day for me to get the addendum back to Prospect (due to their unclear instructions I may add).

Now this is getting hair pulling, lay down and cry frustrating for me but the loan officer wrote this to me on the 14th (his grammar mistakes):

Look good to me, I will ask u/w to clear your file for loan doc draw. I anticipate we should have docs to title by Friday.

No more word until the 17th when I write this to the loan officer:

Hi XXXX,

I haven't heard anything in the last two days - this is a good thing right? Have the docs been sent to title?

Thank you,
Jennifer


He replies and again, between my e-mail above and his above that, we didn't have any contact at all:

I expect final u/w sign off on Friday and docs by Tuesday next week.

Best,

XXXX
Senior Loan Officer

........As if the unexplained delay wasn't hard enough....

June 18 - They again request Patrick's 2008 US Tax Returns... This time Patrick calls them personally and writes a new explanation letter (we had written one before and sent it twice) and scans in his Alien Registration card and send both together. Oh BTW here's the e-mail we got announcing this new hiccup (And no, our last names are not stows):

I am learning with you on this. Please read chain below and get Payrick's stows 2008 returns. Seems as this is a Government loan we have to play it be the letter. Sorry.

June 21 - This is the vacation day I arranged a week and a half ago, so that I could have fun working in the garden of my new house.... We need further employment verification with the same company for Patrick because the manager they've corresponded with put the wrong dates in her responses. So I call her directly, make sure she responds to their e-mail, and she sends a copy to both of us, confirming the dates.

June 21 - One hour later - The underwriter only now! sends the manager and us a form to fill out to complete the verification (Is this intentional?? How can this be??) I call her again and apologize about ten times, asking her to respond to this new e-mail and she does.

June 22 - Today I am proactive. I send this e-mail and get these responses...

Hello XXXX,

Can you confirm for me that the underwriting is done on our file and that docs are being requested?

Thank you,
Jennifer

------------------------------

All I am waiting on is the VOE from Oakland Unified. Then I can take it to XXXX to sign off.

XXXX

------------------------------

Thanks for the answer. May I ask, when was the verification requested? This morning or last week? If it was last week I would just like to know who it was sent to because I don't mind doing some extra work to make them send it back faster. I also know that Oakland schools are now in summer recess so I worry about where this was sent.

Jennifer

------------------------------

They use a verification service I just found out….Patrick needs to call: Written/Verbal Employment Verification: (xxx) xxx-xxxx… they will provide him with a salary key that will allow me to verify his employment with them

Thanks,
XXXX

------------------------------

(BTW that number they sent was wrong. After an hours work figuring out what to do, Patrick gives them the information over the phone. Then, I wait half an hour...)

------------------------------

I believe that Patrick talked to the underwriter about half an hour ago, giving him the information needed to verify employment. As it is done through an automated system, I assume his employment has been verified now. Are docs now being requested on our file?

Thank you,
Jennifer

------------------------------

Underwriting confirmed that he was good and he moved the file to in line for docs.

Best,
XXXX

Senior Loan Officer


Now we wait and see...

No comments:

Post a Comment